Re: WRONG/RICE BURNER!

Its quite possible that most of what these 'youths' do, (youths being a
relative term and me being 22) probably does keep them away from
other vices that are likely to contribute to them being delinquent...drugs
for example.

Again cosmetology is not a bad thing to think about. Besides,
think of the risks involved if this guys actually worked on their
cars to set them up to higher performance standards that the
badges or stickers on their cars represent ? More accidents ? What with
nitrous kits and illegal street racing ?

Personally, I see nothing wrong, with cars based on pure cosmetology.
You'd be suprised to know how much these 'youths' know about performance
mods not just cosmetology. The only reason I think of as to why they don't
take that extra step..is that...what do you need the extra power for ?
I would think that if you didn't do tracking or competitions thats why
you wouldn't need to make performance changes to your car.

Based on that reasoning, I don't see any need to make major performance
mods on my 318i, I don't fancy racing with other drivers on the hwy or
elsewhere...my main concern is getting from point A to B as well as having a
nice looking car. I have 18" alloy wheels with Nitto 555s that are good
looking enough
that the previous owner only sold them after couldn't quite fit on his C280,
eibach lowering pros, euro rear lights, and side markers, a stainless steel
muffler, a little on the loud side but I guess it sounds good when you need
it to..A sticker that says motorsport across the top of the front
windshield. 318i badge is off for now, but no plans to put in an M badge
unless ofcourse I have an M engine in there. A K&N filter is another mod
I've thought of doing, primarily because of its long term benefits but other
than that and a possible change to a quieter muffler as good looking as the
one I have but  I have no plans of making changes to what I got with the car
when I bought it, because it was those mods that  got me to buy it.

So basically my 318i remains stock, maybe just a little power gain
from the rear muffler and the advantage of being a stick as well as a better
handler. But even then with all the resentment on the list to people who
make
mods to their vehicles without performance gains. I have no plans of going
in the direction, for performance dropping in an M3 engine short of buying
an
M3 might be the only thing I do if I really wanted to make any major
performance
gain.

Coincidentally, I do get comments from older generation (40+) car
enthusiasts
about how good the car looks, including from atleast two BMW enthusiasts
that
I have met around here. I believe as long as someone owns a car and it
doesn't
belong to you then they have a right to do anything to whatt is theirs,
remember beauty lies within the eyes of the beholder...whats good for me
might not be good for you.

Mike Theuri
93 318i