How much oil?

Hi,

A friend of mine recently came back from an autocross with a strange
story.  After a couple of runs, he found that his E36 M3 was making a
pretty loud ticking sound.  Not just the sound of a hot engine, but
something like a playing card getting hit with the fan.

He talked to one of the people there and the guy suggested that he
didn't have enough oil.  He had it in the striated area . . . and the
guy said that it had to be just above the dot.  (Sorry for the weird
descriptions).

We have both heard warnings at some point against overfilling,
particularly for driving events.

How much oil should we have in the car?  Is it any different from the
amount you want to have at any other time?

Cheers,
Sam
97 M3

End of bmw-digest V9 #1459