E32 750iL Purchase

I'd say if you had to pick any E32 750 to own, the '92 on up models are
probably the safest bets.  The '88 - '91's were HORRENDOUS - major electrical
problems, a power steering hose from hell, (that cost around $450 to replace)
and all other sorts of issues.  BMW just couldn't get the 750 sorted out.  As
a matter of fact, they began buying the car back from owners in late '92 I
believe and helped get them into newer models.  My father had the distinct
"pleasure" of owning one of these cars, a 1988 Brozit 750iL.  He returned the
car to the leasing company because of over $3000 of repairs EACH month for 4
consecutive months.  Never again will he buy a BMW because of such nightmares
with that car.  A real shame, too.

Despite all the problems, the car was a real monster.  It had never-ending
torque and the power and sound of that V12 was just incredible.  Too bad BMW
had received such negative press about the car, I think the newer cars are
much more reliable.

Reminds me of 2 stories - one of which I'll never forget - I was 17 at the
time, and took out the 750 one night.  Came up to a light where a green
Mustang convertible (5.0) was sitting.  Still brand new, with a temporary
plate on it, this guy didn't know what he was in for.  He began rocking his
car back and forth at the light, and I had just looked over at my friend.  I
was saying "Please God, let him race me, PLEASE" - sure enough, the light
changed.  It was all over.  He kept up for a few seconds but after that, he
became a small speck in my rear view mirror.  I didn't let off the
accelerator until we had hit some "higher than average" triple digit speeds.
 That race story was the talk of many of my high school buddies, and seeing
as I had 2 friends with me, the story was always confirmed.

The 2nd one doesn't have as happy an ending.  One night, my sister and I were
out in the car and we were coming down a large hill on a highway, when all of
a sudden, the engine just quit.  At the bottom of the hill was a traffic
light, red.  She was driving and didn't know what to do.  All the lights, and
I do mean ALL THE WARNING lights on the dash lit up, TRANS PROGRAM was lit up
in the display, and the car was rolling down the hill.  She was tapping the
brakes and losing pressure in the system, I kept remembering telling her to
mash the pedal, while I pullled the E-brake (which did absolutely nothing) -
we managed to get over to the shoulder and stop the car before the light, but
quite an experience.  To boot, the car wouldn't start at all.  That was the
last draw for my father and the unfornuate end of the 750 and BMW's for my
father.  He likes my new E46, but he says "never again".

Good luck!

- -Ted
'99 323i/4 Sport