Driving school

Hi there.
I'm a 17 year old driver in Houston Texas who is very lucky. I have an
old 1983 533i as a project car of mine (progressing very slowly) and a
brand new 1999 328iCA (E36 Convertible Automatic). Having two BMWs which
perform fantastically beyond what I can handle, I'd hope to take driving
school lessons to learn more about the handling of the car under certain
conditions and some high-speed driving. I spoke with my mother and she
contends this is like giving me loaded revolver as a gift, as if actions
taken after the classes would give me fatal instructions.

I recognize the fact that what I would learn in the classes would help
my day-to-day driving ability extremely. Also, otherwise, I might
haphazardly teach myself what a class could teach me under safe
conditions.

So, if any of you would be willing to help me, I'd like to ask y'all to
do me a favor. Write me with your own personal expierences with driving
classes. How did you feel about your driving ability beforehand?
Afterwards? Did the classes make you a better overall driver? Would you
be willing to recommend this class for your own son (or daughter for
that matter)?

ALso, is there any driving schools in Houston? Gulf Coast, anywhere near
that part of Texas? How can I get in touch with them? Finally, is taking
a soft top convertible for classes completely out of the question? It
seems to me it is not allowed (unfortunately) even though I have that
roll-over protection gadget.

Okay, I've asked enough of all of you. I thank you in advance. I will
show your responses to my mother hopefully swaying her in the direction
I'd like best. Don't worry, she won't bite.

Thank you,
Scott O'Neil
Houston, TX
AIM: sup2001