Re: Driving school

Ryan Perez <evoke@domain.elided> wrote:
>I am going to finally do my first driving school in March. What should I
>expect? Is there anything I need to bring besides my car and helmet? To
>all those experienced in this field, please enlighten me.

Cool!
Just in case some of the essentials get missed in other messages.
Besides extra oil, tire gauge, etc.
Clean them windows! Clean out the car.
Get rid of all that junk in the trunk and time to throw out those Rolling
Rocks from under the seat. Leave your ego at home! Get your seat adjusted
to accommodate you and your helmet.

Bring snacks and plenty of water.
You're gonna get dehydrated.
Your body fluids are as important, if not more than your car.
Bring a small cooler for water, tarp to cover your stuff.

Ryan, don't forget to post how the school went.
That's my favorite thing about subscribing to the digest.
I look forward to reading driving school reports.
Especially first timers. It'll be my 2nd year. Can hardly wait!

For me, school can be very overwhelming.
When the checkered flag is waved and time to come in, you could swear that
all you needed is one more lap to do it perfectly ;)

Don't forget that your instructor has a bizzillion hours of track time and
experience. You are starting at zero, just as your instructor did at one
time.
If you are driving faster than your brain can handle, go into the pits.
Let yourself get caught up. It's no big deal to turn in early.

Be sure to ride with your instructor between sessions if able.
Watch his hands. I know I had a death grip on the wheel my first time out.

DON'T USE YOUR EMERGENCY BRAKE when parking.
Don't worry about driving off the track. Within reason of course.
These are all things that will be discussed.
And you can't change the laws of physics.

It'll be quite an addictive day.

Have fun, drive safely.

..steven

mailto:steven@domain.elided    http://www.happytogether.com/bmw/service
Germantown, MD                     Service comments
1998 318ti Arrest Me Red Sport 'FUN2DRV'
w/ open air roof, paint chips on the hood