RE: E30: rebuilt engine questions...

"Andrew Weesner" <acweesner@domain.elided> asks:

> Currently the car burns about 1 qt. of oil per 1,000 miles.
>
> My car has 190k miles and the mechanic suggested getting a
> minor engine rebuild which I believe includes working on the
> valves, replacing the rings and working on the head. He told
> me this will cost around $1500-$2000.
>
> My other option is to get an entirely rebuilt engine.
>
> My questions are (1) how much does a rebuilt cost?  (2) how much will
> installation cost?  (3) where do I get a good rebuilt?
>
> In general, what do people think I should do?

Andrew,
You mechanic is a thief.
A low mileage (way under 100K) M20B25 engine goes for around $600. Nobody in
the right mind is rebuilding engines anymore, except to squeeze out the
extra horses with racing in mind.
No honest mechanic would recommend such an approach. Particularly not for an
engine consuming 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles when BMW's will new engine
acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 600 miles.
If you are concerned about the present level of oil consumption - don't be.
It is on the high side, but still perfectly normal (I bet you are loosing
most of it to oil leaks from 190K mile old oil gaskets). If you want a race
prepped engine, see Metric Mechanic.

alex f