Re: M20 Piston slap

It would seem to me that *if* this noise is indeed
piston slap that it would worsen as the engine gets
warmer - the metal would expand and contact would
worsen.  The result of piston slap is bent valves
and/or valves that eventually fail to seat properly.
The solution would be to take the head off (inspect
while you are there) and install two head gaskets.  If
a bearing is loose, a more probable reasoning, it
seems that heat could expand the metal around it and
possibly curtail the knock noise at operating temp.
These are just my observations, YMMV.

- -Kyle

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:45:39 +0200
> From: "Apfelthaler, Horst"
> <Horst.Apfelthaler@domain.elided>
> Subject: M20 piston slap
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a very bad (kind of knocking) noise on my
> project car's m20/b27
> engine.
> It seems that its piston slap because in the
> meantime I swapped a lot of
> components
> like head, oil pump, water pump, conrod bearings...
> for different reasons.
>
> The noise is still there after a cold start.
> You cannot hear it at idle, but when you accelerate
> it sounds like a diesel.
> There is no noise when driving for >5min, or when
> the engine has reached its
> operating temperature.
> I currently run Castrol TXT 5W40 oil.
>
> Questions:
> Is there a cheap method to minimize the slap - or is
> it time to build a new
> engine?
> Is piston slap harmful to the engine (life) or is it
> just an annoying noise?

=== message truncated ===