E28 Front Crank Seal replacement

Hello all,

Anyone replaced the front crank seal on this or a similar car (3.5l big six)?
 The dealer wants big $$$$$.  They say it's a 4 1/2 hour job and at
$80/hour....WOW!

The problem I've had is holding the flywheel.  The nut is on with 325 ft-lbs
of torque!! Bentley refers to a special BMW tool.  I asked the dealer about
buying the special tool and they just laughed.

I'm leaking ~ 1 quart every 1500 miles.  It's a drag leaving spots everywhere
I park and the burning oil smell at stoplights stinks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Richard
87 535i 185,000 miles