e28 relay popping

I have a 1987 535iS with an ongoing relay noise from under the ddriver's side of
the dash.  Has anyone had this similar experience?  Does anyon know what this
relay is for and which one it is?  It so far dows not seem to effect starting
and drivablility.

Also, is the dealer the only source for getting a radio code?  They are
insisting that they have to remove the radio to get the serial number (even
though I have already done so and have the s/n in hand) and will charge an
additional $20 just to look up the code.  Any help?

Thanks,

KT

'87 535iS
new bottom end, rebuilt trans