'88 E32/735i Transmission questions

Can anyone point me to information about the automatic transmission for this
car? Is it one of those infamous trannies that are good until 120K miles (my
current mileage), or is it one of the good ones? Is it smart to use
synthetic fluid, or stay with oil?

More importantly, I've noticed the overdrive disengaging and engaging at
inappropriate moments. One day, it kept on cycling on and off for no
apparent reason. It's only done that once, but I swear, yesterday, while
cruising at highway speeds, I felt it occasionally disengaging and
reengaging so fast I couldn't see the tach change (maybe it's just
paranoia). It runs fine on the sport setting, which makes me think it's just
an O/D problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks - Drew