RE: car maintenance education?

dahermann@domain.elided asks:

> What is the best way to learn how to perform
> basic DIY and maintenance tasks on one's car?
> While having learned a lot from reading the
> digest, it certainly doesn't qualify me to take
> a wrench to my E36 and there doesn't seem to be
> a good way of learning.  I want to be able to
> handle small repairs and routine maintenance
> such as changing brake pads and the like as I
> start attending driving schools.  It certainly
> wouldn't hurt my driving to understand a little
> more about my car, either.

Dan,
Ditch the dealer and find an honest independent mechanic who will let you
watch him work. You will see how straight forward wrenching on your car is.
Perhaps this will embolden you to try it on your own.
Start with simple maintenance (oil/filter changes). Move on to more complex
jobs as you get comfortable.

> Which of the repair manuals would be best for
> this?  I've seen the Bentley, Haynes, and
> Chilton manuals advertised, but have no idea
> which is appropriate.

Bentley is the one you want _before_ you start taking the car apart ;-)
If in doubt, ask this digest (or the uuc digest at:
http://www.uucdigest.com)

have fun,
alex f