RE: <E39> Oil change interval?

"William T. Wallace" <ssgwallace@domain.elided> asks:

> I know this has been talked about allot, but what's the final overall
> opinion about oil change intervals?  Should I go with the service
indicator
> lights or every 3,000miles?  Which is better in the LONG run?

William,
If ten people + engine maker tell you to go with the service lights and one
claims you will kill your car if you don't change oil every 3K miles, whom
will you believe?
My answer is that 3k miles vs. service lights will not make any difference
to the engine. The difference is in how the oil change interval makes you
feel. If you only feel happy with 3K oil changes, then it's a small price to
pay for a piece of mind. If you find it within you to believe the engineers
who designed the car that service lights are there for a purpose, then 3K
oil changes are an awful waste.
The above may not apply if you are racing your car. In which case you should
also be rebuilding the engine with each oil change after every race.

YMMV,
alex f