Mayday system

I was reading about the BMW Mayday system and thinking it could be
cool. I do wonder about false alarms on the "car alarm alerting the
cops" feature. But other than that, I'd consider it.

I see it lists the GPS/Modem unit for $700 retail. Then the Telephone
kit for $225. Then it just says E36 3 series coupe/sedan $250 (for
what, I'm not sure). I have a suspicion that none of this includes
the actual phone? If so, which phone does it need?

I would actually be getting the E46 coupe, would it work in that
model? What bottom line price am I looking at for installation? For
service? Can I buy the parts and put it in myself or have it put in
by a dealer or other installer for much less? In your opinion is it
really worth it? It seems semi-gimmicky, but also seems to have some
decent safety/security features.

						-Michael

End of bmw-digest V9 #1424