Install it myself?

I mentioned before that I was interested in the BMW alarm for my E46
coupe. My main concern was "is it comparable in level of protection
to a 3rd party model" and I'm not sure any of the replies have given
me a better feeling on that.

Some replies did however make the good suggestion of buying the parts
online and paying the dealer to install it. I found the list price
online to be $300 but the mailorder cost to be $219. I was quoted
$495 installed at the dealer. If it's all pre-wired, does it come
with installation instructions? Could I install it without too much
trouble? Or could the installer I am hiring for stereo work be able
to do it?

Similarly, I was interested in the BMW Universal Transmitter. IT's
listed on this site at $179 retail, $129 mailorder. I was quoted like
$350 or more at the dealer, and said forget it. But for $129, I would
consider it, it's probably pre-wired for that too I would think right?

I apologize for my ignorance on all of this, but I appreciate this
mailing list as a resource to change that. Thanks.

Michael