E30 wheel offset?

Hello, recently I have been looking for new rims and tires for my 87' 325is.
I was wondering what offest I should be looking for. I called Discount Tire
Direct about a set of Enkei's but he said they would'nt fit. The offset was
38. what is the range of offset that I can use with out having problems? Alo
I was going to get 16 or 17in. rims. I have recently lowered my car with H&R
springs and Bilstein sports. How wide can i go with the tire before I start
to expereince rubbing. I was thinking anywhere between 205 and 225. I i have
lets say 225/45/17 tires will I expereince problems with my car being about
an inch and a half lower? Thank you for your time.

Jason
87' 325is
99' 528i