1995 525i Touring questions

Hello all... I just purchased a 1995 525i Touring and I hear that the
double sunroof is prone to failure and a repair bill of $2k. My question
is whether or not there is anything I can do, aside from lubrication, to
maintain or prolong the life of the sunroof.
   For the most part, this will be my wife's car, and she'd like to have
a remote car starter installed. I cringe at the thought... Has anyone
had a car starter installed? The thought of some "stereo dude" messing
with the wiring frightens me. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
Andy Ratto

'95 525i Touring 70k
'89 535i 5spd 180k