Maintaining Black Paint!! (Part 2)

Here is the other half

Part 2

Hi Manuel,
I have a black 328i (MY 98), with those same damned scratches.  It was
delivered witha large number of them...  Causes:

1. Washing (soaping) a car with some amount of dust on it.  Doesn't have to
be a lot of dust.

2. Buffing a car (such as after applying wax, polish, glaze, cleaner)
outside, where a slight amount of dust can settle on the car between drying
and buffing.

3. Using buffing towels that aren't made of cotton. You asked for advice on
avoiding another round of scratches on your now-fresh paint surface.

Here goes:
- - I would suggest using the lightest pressure when soaping your car.
Maybe drip water and/or soap over the car beforehand in the hope that most
of the dust will come off before you have to touch the surface.  I
personally use a cotton bath towel (tagged:100% cotton made in USA)  to soap
the car.

- - Avoid buffing the car whenever possible.  Avoid polishes and glazes
until your paint actually seems to need it (imperial hand glaze is great at
getting off those bird stains on an unwaxed surface).  Use
  a wax that is easily removed and in particular doesn't require
strenuous rubbing of the surface.

- - Use towels that are truly cotton.  I use Fieldcrest towels.  I've been
told that towels that aren't made in the USA and claim to be cotton may not
be; and I've ruined my own paint using the  cheapo Detailer's Choice
towels.I used to own an auto detail business. The most important thing about
those hair line scratches is to go along with the wind. Your car will
develop them due to particles in the air, as you drive at 60-70-80- maybe
90-100 mph, they scratch your car. While washing your car use forward to
rear movement with
your mit (going along with the wind marks). While waxing your car do the
same DO NOT GO IN A CIRCULAR MOTION!!!!!!!!! I can not stress that enough.
That is where most of your visible markings come from. Do small areas at a
time so you do not have to use a lot of pressure or friction to get the wax
off. While washing your car you do not really need any type of soap in the
water. If you choose to use a soap (USE A CAR SPECIFIC soap) you only need a
small drop in a gallon of warm water. The more you use does not get the car
any cleaner. It will only remove the wax from the paint. If you have any
other
questions, I would enjoy answering them.

Pete

Manuel,
     I have a black '94 325.  Based on my experience, Meguair's polishes
work great on BMWs but their waxes do not.  After 15 years of using
Meguair's, I changed to 3M Imperial Hand Glaze for polishing and Blitz One
Grand Wax.  For the first time ever I am getting very good results without
needing to buff the final coat of wax repeatedly.  Apparently the Meguiar's
wax has some polymers in it that react with the BMW paint, causing the wax
to become slightly cloudy.  Visually this looks like big smudges in the
finised wax job that no amount of buffing will remove. I would recommend
calling Larry at www.carcareonline and getting his advice.  He stocks a lot
of product, prices are reasonable, and if you tell him what you want to do
he will recommend the right products. FWIW, Zymol is good but very expensive
for what you are getting. HTH,
Mike

I'll give you my formula.  I have a "Lapis Blue" '87, 325 I bought new. This
is almost black.  I had a terrible time with swirls, etc. for years and
finally found this solution (YMMV). Throw out the wash mitt and the chamois.
  The chamois drags off all the wax. Get some 100% cotton terry towels,
older the better. If you are not sure if they are 100% cotton, you can hold
a match to a few threads.  If they give any sign of melting instead of just
burning, they have some polyester in and you don't want to use them. Wash
towels in hot water two or three times using a powder detergent.  Make sure
they get a good rinse each time.I use all Meguire's products. Wash with
their car wash liquid.  Start at top and work down. Change the water, soap
and towel at the first sign of any of it getting visibly dirty. Take a small
(4-in.) squeegee and very lightly flick off any standing, or
beaded water.  Then dry with the toweling. I have a Porter Cable orbital
buffer with separate foam pads to apply the following:If the car is very
dull and swirled start with No. 2- Fine Cut If not too bad, skip the No. 2
and go straight to:No. 9 - Swirl Remover No 7 - GlazeNo 26 - Yellow Wax.
Each of these has to be applied, let dry and buffed off using the toweling.
Now go and wash all the towels on hot again with the powder detergent at
least twice.I only have to do this once a year.  In the meantime, a wash and
the squeegee, followed by a quick dry does it all. Depending on what your
car looks like initially, you will be amazed after you finish the Nos. 2
and.  The car actually looks best after the No. 7 and I think this is where
people with show cars stop, but it will not last and the wax is needed to
preserve the shine.

MANUEL:
IMNSHO, black (or any dark color) paint requires special care and
attention to look nice.  You're on the right track in using Meguiar's Number
7, Show Car Glaze as your polishing product.  You might also try their
Number 81, Hand Polish.  3M also makes a great polish in their Foam
Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover For Dark Colored Cars, PN 39009:
http://www.mmm.com/market/automotive/showcar.html
Now on to waxing.  Unless you only drive your car on sunny weekends I'd
avoid the Zymol products.  They have a half life measured in days!!  The
best wax I've found for a black BMW daily driver is One Grand Blitz.  Call
Larry Reynolds at CarCareOnline: http://www.carcareonline.com/
Several Digest folks have raved about the Zaino Brothers' products:
http://www.zainobros.com/index.shtml
The best investment I've made towards dark car care is a Porter Cable random
orbit polisher, Model 7336 or 7424:
http://www.toolsforless.com/porter_cable/sanders_polishers.htm
Usual disclaimers apply.  YMMV.

Jim Millet1995 M3,
Hellrot, Sharked and Blitz'd
Formerly owned a black 1994 325iS.

Manuel,
I was busy during the holidays and missed your post and the replies to it.
Do you mind sharing some of the good tips you received?
I have a black 94 325is and it's been a real pain to keep looking good.  I
have read a lot of articles on paint care, talked to several high-end auto
paint shops and tried most of the major polishes and waxes.  The best
results I've gotten are polishing with Meguiar's #9 swirl remover or #7
glaze followed by a coat of #26 (I think) wax.  To do it right takes 7 or 8
hours. Here is one of the better articles I've found on the web:
http://vettenet.org/wax.html
I have also called Meguiar's 1-800 number (listed on all their products)
several times and have found them to be helpful.
Terry Thorntonterry.thornton@domain.elided