From: austin wood [mailto:awood@domain.elided]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 4:28 PM
To: bmw@domain.elided
Subject: <E36> Screws in Backwards

Hello, I had a little accident with a pot hole, and my lower engine
cover ripped off.  I thought no big deal, I'll just go to the parts
store and pick up a new one (Boy was I wrong!).  When I investigated
the damaged further, I noticed that not only the cover broke off, but
the piece it screws into.  To get this piece out is quite a job. So, I
had to remove the bumper to get to this piece.  I also needed to
remove the front panel, but the side retaining screws holding it in
were placed in backwards by my mechanic (You would think for $71/hour
you could put some screws in right!).  If you have the Bently Service
manual for the 1992-1998 3 series cars, you can see a picture of these
screws on page 510-8 figure 19.  The only way I could get the piece
out that I needed to remove was by breaking it.  So when I got the
piece out I was able to get the screws out that were on the passenger
side (So the screws in the picture are not exactly the ones I'm having
trouble with).  However, I am still unable to get the screws out that
are on the drivers side (If you look at figure 18 on the same page, I
am talking about the B, side retaining screws).  Can someone tell me
how to get these out?  I've tried gripping the backside of the screws
with channel locks, but to no avail.

Any help is appeciated.
- -austin wood