Re:Aftermarket stereo upgrade

Hi Michael,

This is a tricky issue, you have to be very careful if you want things done
right.
The aftermarket world is full with unprofessional people, of course not all
of them are, but a lot of installers are just high school kids with an
attitude.
Everyone thinks they have the only answer and the only thing they really
care about is taking as much money out of you as they can. They will sell
you the brand they distribute, not what is best for you, and most of them
will have little or no experience on bimmers (specially a 2000).
I have not reviewed the sound of a 2000, but if they keep with the
tradition, is all a pile of junk. You'll have to replace it all, the good
news is you can replace each component at a time and with every step you'll
find improvement.

When I was looking for an installer for my E36, I found a guy in one of the
best stores in Dallas who will charge me a fortune for installation, because
"bimmers are very difficult to do and they have a very inaccessible wiring,
all the way to the back". I got tired of the winning and, when I finally did
the project myself, I found an extremely easy access to all wiring since the
battery and the factory amp are in the trunk, you can do all in there.
Another example? One of the best stores in Orange County CA (some say the
best), busted my friend's new Lexus cutting the center console to install
the CD changer control without asking. They just took the liberty of
cutting, and then refuse to do any repairs (and I recommended the place,
they made me look like an idiot).
Currently my E36 has a new head unit, 3 amps, 1 crossover, 2 bazookas and
sounds pretty good. It did cost me several weekends, but I did not made ANY
permanent  modifications to the car. I can turn it back to factory in
probably 8 hours.

If you want to keep the value of the car and avoid headaches I'd recommend
the following:
I'd do it myself, or be involved, meaning BE THERE and witness the process.
Do not allow any cutting, drilling or the like. Unless you are talking high
dB competition level, there are always options to install the components
without permanent modifications to the car, you just have to think a little
more, and aftermarket installers love to cut and hate to think.
Depending on your wiring, you may be able to use an adapter in the head
unit, allowing for a ver clean installation of it.
Do not allow any cutting of ANY harnesses, either they are re-used via
adapters or new wires are run, period. This will allow you to turn the car
back to factory condition and will help avoid unexpected consequences of
cutting the wrong wire.
Use factory locations and factory sizes for speakers, just change them for
as good quality speakers as your budget allows, again, there are adapters
for the wire on the side of the speaker too, so you can use the factory
harness. Either that or use new wires that can be pulled out if you decide
to sell the car.
Amps and processors can be mounted in the trunk in some rack/board that
should not require any modifications to the car, and can be removed.
Bass boxes are ideal since you just throw them in the trunk.
Be very specific on the value of the car and that you do not want
modifications, it can be done.

It all depends on how serious an enthusiast are you. For most people,
changing the factory speakers for high quality ones, changing the head unit
for a good one and adding a couple of amps and processors in the back
together with some subs should do the trick.

Hope that helps.

Francisco