323Ci vs 328Ci

I recently testdrove a 2000 BMW 323Ci (Automatic) and coming from a
1995 Mazda MX-6 4 cylinder, I guess I expected a little more "get up
and go." Everything else about the car was wonderful, but it seemed
to lack a little pep.

The sales guy said that with a 5 speed, the 323 was really good, but
for the automatic I might want to look at the 328 which would feel
more peppy. But he said rather than spend the $4,000 for the 328, I
might be able to do as well with a free-flow air filter and
performance upgrade chip.

I am wondering what others think of this?

     - Is it worth it to go for the 328Ci?

     - Will additions like a free-flow air filter
       and performance upgrade chip make a big difference?

     - Are there other things I could do for either models performance
       that wouldn't require a machine shop and engineering degree?

Thanks.

Michael