<e28> Trunk lid springs

Hello all,
  I recently purchased my '86 535i. When I open the
trunk, it doesn't "pop up" at all, I have to push in
the button, lift the trunk lid, and hold it up.
  I noticed that one of the two rods (left one) that
act as springs for the lid was out of its bracket,
just hanging there.  So, I thought "Aha!" I'll just
stick it back in there, and it'll be good as new.
  Well after a couple hours of laying in the trunk
with my feet hanging out, I managed to get it back in.
 The problem is that if I raise the trunk all the way,
the "U" shaped part snaps past the extended position
and makes it fold the wrong way when I lower the lid.
This, of course, makes it impossible to close the lid
all the way, because the "elbow" hits the top of the
bracket, instead of folding like it should.
  It looks like there is a little tab there that
should keep it from extending that far, but it doesn't
seem to stop it.
  All of this leads me to the conclusion that that is
why the darn thing was disconnected in the first
place.

  Any help would be appreciated.
  Tony Z, new BMW owner