<E34> O2 sensor help

All,
I have been having a 'hesitation' problem on my '92 535i 5 speed w/78k
on the clock. It's not a miss, but a hesitation as you accelerate. I
have replaced plugs, dist. cap & rotor, adjusted the valves, cleaned the
TB & ICV, replaced vacuum hoses, checked for any vacuum leak and still
have this hesitation. Next on the list is O2 sensor & fuel regulator.

So, reading some of the forum messages & archives, I am/was suspicious
of the correct operation of the O2 sensor so tonight, before leaving
work, I disconnected the O2 sensor. Guess what? No hesitation. The
'check engine' light didn't come on until 3 miles later, but the car ran
great. Now, I need to know if anyone can tell me if my assumption that
the O2 sensor is bad is correct or not. Don't let me down guys.

TIA, Richard Vaughn BMW CCA
Tarheel Chapter