RE: Front an Rear Whell Bearing........

ken.hau@domain.elided asks

> I need to change my front and rear wheel bearings on my E30
> M3, can someone please post some tips and steps or maybe some
> links if this has already been covered by this board.

Ken,
I think Brett's web site (http://www.koalamotorsport.com/) covers replacing
front wheel bearings (DIY).
Rear bearings, if they are anything like regular E30 bearings, are a royal
PITA to replace. You will at least need the bearing puller 'tool' (glorified
$250 sledge hammer), power tool and an extra set of hands. Definitely not a
DIY job. Figure paying for 2.5hr of labor to have this done. If you want all
the gory details of this job, drop me a line. But I would not try this at
home even with all the tools.

> Hope this one is easier.

Not!!!

> Any special tools I might need?

Read above.

> I was also told that I nned a press to fit the rear bearings,
> any other alternatives?

Yep, gently hammer the new inner bearing into the hub with a same size
socket. Have a helper holding the bearing from the size to make sure you
don't hammer it a apart.

> Also can you tell me the best disc and pad combination for
> this car, it is used as an everyday commuter and never
> raced, YET...:-)

Taking 'yet' as the key word, give SteveD a call
(http://www.ultimategarage.com) and buy a set of Jurids/Pagids. Keep a set
of Repco Deluxe pads for the street if a lot of break dust bothers you.

> Any one have any suggestions on Zimmerman, Guttmann, ATE, Textar
> .....I understand that the E30 M3 uses the same disc and pads
> as the E28, if so why are the M3 disc and pads more expensive
> than the E28?

///M3 == multiple prices by 3 times.

> Ken Hau
> P.S. I live in the U.K.

Ooppps, you might want to locate local suppliers for all the goodies. Can't
help you there.

good luck,
alex f