From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided]On Behalf Of Tim
Ketterson & Dulce Roman
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 12:08 AM
To: healeybn7@domain.elided; Igor Chernishov; bezems@domain.elided;
GRobWorkll@domain.elided; Georg Taht; gene; Scott Petersen
Cc: bmw@domain.elided
Subject: <e28> Re: 87 535iS Divability Problems

Hello Dean, George, Gene, Igot, Scott, Rob:

Thank you all so much for your ideas re: drivability problems in my
87 535is.  Even when my car is not "acting-up" it is feeling a bit
sluggish and jumpy...which I would not expect in this marque.
Acceleration from low RPMs is not linear (read not smooth)...feels
herky jerky and even feels like it is "missing" at speed.  Every
BMW I've ever driven is smooooooth so I wouldn't expect this to be
the norm for mine.  This is the first one I have ever owned so I have
many things to learn...

Gosh, in the past week I've had so many suggestions from folks
and they're all sort of different (e.g., fuel pressure regulator, new
DME!!$$, cracked solder joints on DME, damaged catalytic
converter...Karl's is removed, F.I. Temp sensor, air duct to flow
meter / throttle body, throttle position sensor, air flow meter).  The
one commonality here, obviously, is they all center on some
aspect of the fuel delivery / management systems.   Just to
reiterate...my key "intermittent bogging" symtoms have been that
is seems to be worse on rainy/humid days, worse when on incline /
decline (esp the later), when turning a sharp corner, and at take-off.
 I can now get it to "correct" quickly by an oh so light touch of the
throttle (off and on a few times).

I'm not entirely sure what I can do except go through them all one
at a time to rule-out things.  I'll make another post to the group
soon once I know what is going on.   But in the meantime I'm
swamped at work and haven't had any time to work through the
suggestions.   If I can't diagnose the problem would you
recommend that wait till the problem worsens or take it to my
independent BMW mechanic?

Finally, what the etiquette is for posting back to the Digest after
receiving individual feedback from everyone?  Do I forward all the
emails I've received to the Digest to let Richard Welty (the
owner/editor) decide what to post?

Thanks again to everyone.

Regards,
Tim