E30 oil all inside intake

Cam writes:
- ------------------------------
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:32:59 EST
From: Dubiousbtl@domain.elided
Subject: E30 oil all inside intake=20

When I went to replace the air filter the other day I removed the =
assembly
up=20
to the throttle body.  Then, I noticed that the intake bellows and AFM =
had=20
oil all over inside of them.  I opened the throttle body, shined a
flashlight=20
in, and there's oil coating everything in there. I know this isn't =
normal,
it=20
didn't do this before.  There was even a couple spots on the air =
filter. =20
I've got to get all this stuff fixed, there's a driving school coming =
up
that=20
I've been holding my registration for.
Thanks,
Cam
87 325 (e)
- ------------------------------

This is happening to me with my 86 325.  I know I am burning oil, but =
not in
the traditional since.  I believe the oil is being sucked up from the =
valve
cover vent tube that connects to the throttle housing just in front of =
the
throttle plate.  The oil then drips into the bore and works its way =
into the
intake. You need to take a close look at this.  If the oil drains are
restricted, you may have oil pooling under the valve cover.  Another =
area to
look would be the vent pipe that connects the crankcase to the intake
manifold.  Something weird here might cause something like you =
describe.
Have you looked real close for a vacuum leak? =20

That it is how I found at least part of my problem, which presented =
with
symptoms consistent with worn or missing valve seals (major oil
consumption=85primarily on cold start).

Good Luck,

Ron Millliet
Petal, MS