Fwd: <E28> battery relocation

DA:

We moved the battery to the trunk in our '86, but did not do
any extensive before and after track runs.  No difference was
apparent in lively road use, but it was a step in the right
direction.  The other response to your note does the arithmetic
for the change in weight distribution; something around 1%.  The
data I have for front rear of a US market '85 535i is 54% front
46% rear, so improving it to 53/47 is actually pretty cool.

Now, how to get there.  We (my son and I) wanted to do the same
bit with M5 parts.  Well, $700 and special order time later, we
decided to *not* order them from a dealer (!).  I can give you the
part numbers, with a little digging.  Inquiring around brought
chuckles from many:  "You thought you could find *what*?".  Jason
at Zionsville was polite, but discouraging.

We went with a fiberglass housing designed for boat use; about
$25.  We already had 4 guage, million strand (in a word, limp)
wire from front to back for the stereo installation - we just
rerouted that.  Went with a gel-cell with some 700 cold cranking
amps, mostly for the stereo, but the starter did fine as well ;~).

Good luck in your endeavours!  Larry F.

>Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:02:16 -0500
>From: "D.S." <dasquestbox@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E28> battery relocation
>
>Anybody done a 535i battery relocation?  If so, what was the improvement or
>change could I expect in the car's handling?  I'm thinking about
>relocating the
>battery in a 1985 535i to the trunk, a la E28 M5, for improved
>weight balance.  I
>would want to use original BMW M5 hardware and battery cover for a factory
>installed appearance.  I'm inclined to get used parts since new M5
>parts can be
>quite expensive.  It seems that the relocation would be
>straightforward since the
>two cars are so similar.
>
>Any thoughts on relocating the battery to beneath the rear seat, a la E32 7
>series, as an alternative?
>
>D.A.

- --

Pearson-Franks Family