Re: <E28> battery relocation

Moving a 20 lb. battery 100 inches has the same effect on weight
distribution as moving a 400 lb engine 5 inches.  It will change the weight
distribution about 1 percentage point.  Heat is the enemy of a battery so it
will last longer mounted in the rear.  Overall, this is a good idea.
Getting used M5 parts might not be the easiest thing to do.  I have used
welding cable in the past.  Its very flexible and easy to get.  You will
need a large gauge, 2 or so, due to the long length of cable.

Gary Derian <gderian@domain.elided>

> Anybody done a 535i battery relocation?  If so, what was the improvement
or
> change could I expect in the car's handling?  I'm thinking about
relocating the
> battery in a 1985 535i to the trunk, a la E28 M5, for improved weight
balance.  I
> would want to use original BMW M5 hardware and battery cover for a factory
> installed appearance.  I'm inclined to get used parts since new M5 parts
can be
> quite expensive.  It seems that the relocation would be straightforward
since the
> two cars are so similar.
>
> Any thoughts on relocating the battery to beneath the rear seat, a la E32
7
> series, as an alternative?
>
> D.A.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1383