Re: How do i get my fog lights to stay on with my high beams

At 01:12 -0500 on 000219, Rob Levinson commanded the electrons to
create a missive titled "Re: How do i get my fog lights to stay on
with my high":

|US fog lights (which are useless except for lighting up a parking spot) have
|a broad, diffuse beam with very little distance-projection.

This is quite true, and they are generally useless. Save for one
thing listed below.

|They are
|designed to be used in inclement weather to see what is directly in front of
|you. They make a "hot spot" on the road right in front of the car that is a
|DISADVANTAGE to long-range viewing as your pupils contract in response to
|this hot spot.

I submit that this is true of _real_ fog lights, but not of US fog lights.

|Using both together doesn't help you see any better and is a quick way to a
|traffic violation if the officer needs yet another reason to pull you over.

On my other car, I have foglights that will stay on with the brights.
I find that this is a very useful combination, since all the fog
lights really do is illuminate a small area around the front of the
car, they do an excellent job of lighting the "deer zone". I've
avoided numerous critters that I've spotted on the shoulder in the
area lit by the fogs, not by the brights.

|Thought: they make auto-dimming rear view mirrors... why don't they make
|auto-dimming foglights for people that forget to turn them off when there is
|oncoming traffic?

Why? Properly aimed fogs start low and are aimed downward. I've seen
my own fogs, and they're less objectionable than the (also properly
aimed) low beams.

If blinding oncoming traffic were ever a concern to regulators, we'd
be running E-code lights like the rest of the world.

(Here's an idea...diagonally polarized headlight lenses and
windshields. Light from your own headlights is either scattered or
polarized correctly, but oncoming headlights are dimmed by about 6
stops. ;)

Just my $0.02.

- -Z
Aleksandr Milewski N6MOD