Re: E46: Clutch + Pressure Plate + Flywheel = $1500.00

"Andrew BW Colfelt" <abwc@domain.elided> wrote:

>Over the last few weeks I've noticed that my clutch was acting a little
>funny. This is a 328i manufactured in 10/98, which currently has 29,000
>miles on it.

I have a '97 328is.  For about the first year I noticed that the clutch
would seem to slip under hard acceleration even after being fully
engaged under light acceleration.  There were a couple of times
when accelerating hard, after being fully engaged, it would smoke.

It no longer does this and the clutch seems normal.  I don't know
if it required an unusually long breaking time or if there is some
design quirk.  It has 39K on it now.

In my other cars I've gotten over 140K before requiring a new clutch
so I don't think I have a particuarly bad technique.

About the only thing I really dislike about this clutch is the long
travel before engagement.

    John