RE: E46: Clutch + Pressure Plate + Flywheel = $1500.00

Andrew,

While I have no experience with E46's, I have owned several BMW's and
never have any problems with the clutch.  I sold my E30 325 w/ 160k and
the original clutch.  I have an E30 M3 w/ 115k and just had the motor
rebuilt to a 2.5, upon inspection clutch was only worn 50%, so I decided
not to replace it.  We also have an E34 525 w/ 84k and the original
clutch.

As for did your driving cause the damage.  It's possible, many people
slip a clutch too much in an effort to achieve smooth starts.  Some
would consider the items that you are *guilty* of, as abuse.  Cars can
be driven hard without being abused but it will accelerate wear.

Stop/go traffic jams can increase wear.  Do you rest your left foot on
the clutch when you are not engaging/disengaging it?  This will also
accelerate wear.  There are several items to consider, while you and I
may not consider your driving style as abuse it will/did accelerate
wear.  There may be a design flaw, it is probably to early to tell.  As
far a tech abusing your car, it is possible but unlikely and next to
impossible to prove.

I would recommend that you discuss this with the BMW technical rep for
your area, in addition to the dealer's service manager.  Ask if similar
failures have been reported.  If they still refuse to cover it under
warranty, ask for some *goodwill* from both BMW and the dealer.  This
may get you a discount on both the parts and labor.  Also, evaluate your
driving style, make sure that you aren't slipping the clutch too much
and that you don't leave you foot resting on it.

Good luck,

Tarun
91 M3 2.5 koalpower 116k original clutch
95 525i 84k original clutch
84 GTI winter beater 128k original clutch