Re: E28 Man transmission: How many bolts hold it on?

Carl wrote:

<<Hello all.  I am in the middle of a clutch job on my '86 535i.  I've taken
10 of the bolts that hold the transmission housing on the engine and the
transmission doesn't want to come off.

The bolts I've taken off go from about 1 o'clock to 10:30.  I've heard
there's one up top that's a bear to get off and I was thinking that was the
one at 1 o'clock.  Are there any more holding that transmission on?  If so,
any tips on getting it out?>>

    There *is* another bolt, at 12 o'clock, which can be hidden by sagging
noise insulation (the rubbery black mat).  As I recall, it's also "behind"
the others, in relation to the circular mounting plane.  Least difficult
(maybe the only) way to get at it is to loosen the engine mounts a little,
drop the rear of the trans a little, and use enough socket extensions to get
it from along the top of the trans.  Don't drop the rear too much, lest the
cam cover crunch the brake lines along the firewall!!  Also ensure that the
engine is properly braced against rocking when you separate the trans from it.

Good luck!
Gary T
Abq, NM

88 535is
Formerly 87 535i, 88 325is, 81 528i(3.3), 76 2002