Re: 318iS Problems

Let's see if I can help.. I had a '92 318iS and experienced some of the same
problems/issues.

>>(2) Worn carpeting: Is it difficult or costly to replace the whole carpet
>>with OEM carpet?

OEM Carpeting isn't that expensive.. and it's not that hard of a job to
replace.. my brother purchased my '92 318iS and we replaced the entire
carpeting.. it tooks us about 2 hours to remove and reinstall everything..
(amazing the stuff you find when you remove carpeting!)  - anyway, the cost
was around $185 for the carpeting, straight from BMW - that's with a 15%
discount though..

>>(3) Lighting: My interior lights (and headlights) seem to pulsate when the
>>car is idling. What could be the reason for this?

Sounds like a Voltage Regulator.  318's are notorious for these..  I believe
BMW changed the design of these in newer M42's and M44's..

(>>4) More lighting: I have a couple of lights out in the the speedo/tach
>>housing (right turn signal light, for one) and the headlight on/off switch
>>is not lighted. Is this expensive to fix?

Easy stuff.  Go to a BMW parts counter and pick up stock, original bulbs
(don't get the cheesy Napa ones - you'll risk getting different
wattages/voltages and some things will be brighter than others) - unscrew the
instrument cluster, pull it towards you, and reach in the back for the bulbs.
 The headlight switch has a screw underneath it which points straight up.
Simply unscrew this and pry the switch out, and behind it will be the bulb.

>>(5) Sunroof switch: When I start my car, the sunroof switch will
>>mysteriously stop working (the orange light stops glowing on the switch);
>>however after about 10 minutes it comes on and works again. Strange but
>>true. Is there an explanation?

I heard of this problem on early production '93 E36's.. a quick way to tell
(besides checkin the production date on the inside of the door) if you have a
newer production vehicle is if you have Airbag written on the steering
wheel.. if not, you have an early production model and I'm not sure what the
fix is (new switch, perhaps?)

>>(6) I have an slow but sure oil leak in the front part of the engine--Looks
>>like perhaps it's coming from the timing cover but I can't tell for certain.
>>Any ideas on what should be done?

Try the valve cover gasket.

>>(7) Is the black plastic moulding for the outer rear view mirror replaceable
>>(the front part of the housing surrounding the mirror--not the painted back
>>part)? I damaged the black plastic part but the mirror and the painted part
>>of the housing are still okay and it would be more cost effective if I could
>>replace just the black plastic part.

I believe you have to replace the entire unit.

>> (8) Steering Wheel squeaks occasionally. Is this a problem sign?

Typical early E36... There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this...
not serious.. check the BMW archives for the fix..

Good luck!

- -Ted
'99 323i/4