RE: E30 325i hard to start when warm

"Allan Williams" <allanw@domain.elided> asks

> We have a 1990 325i SE, and it has this small problem-
>
> If you drive it until it is fully warm, then shut it off for
> 20+ minutes, it is hard to start. It cranks and cranks, but
> doesn't fire. If you hit the gas it will sometimes start,

Allan,
	That is a hint to go on.
	By hitting the gas pedal you open the throttle and let more air in.
The only time this would help is if the initial fuel/air mixture was too
rich.
	There may be many reasons for a rich fuel mixture upon warm starts.
The ones that immediately come to mind would be:
- - your cold start injector is firing erroneously/leaking (check the cold
start injector and the temp sensor that may be misleading the DME into
thinking the engine is cold - below 30C)
- - your fuel pressure is too high and too much fuel is dumped into the
cylinders during warm starts (check/replace the fuel pressure switch)
- - ICV may be acting up and suffocating engine of air
- - ... (any combination of incorrect sensor inputs into DME, or the DME
itself, that prompt it to flood the cylinders)

alex f