ITG filter installed

Call me a rookie but I just installed my first mod in
my M3, an ITG air filter.  Did not notice much
difference but it is nice knowing it is there.  I
picked up the filter for 44 bucks, not a bad deal.
Got it from www.speedevolution.com web magazine.
I am now hooked however and I want to install a good
exhaust.  I have heard that the factory stuff is hard
to improve upon.  Can anyone with experience assist me
in my decision?
Also, I bought on OEM filter.  Can I get more power
from an open air unit?  What about engine heat?
TIA