RE:bmw and snow

"Dr. Scott E. Brunengraber" <drscott@domain.elided> writes:

> I too was comparing my stock bmw to other stock autos.

Are you comparing it to other high performance cars with Z rated 45 series
summer tires? Or to something with non-speed-rated 80 series all-season
tires?

With my 235/45-17 Z rated tires on the 5er, I could get stuck in a heavy
frost. OTOH, my girlfriend's Corolla does just fine with it's
non-speed-rated 80 series all-season tires in moderate snow.

With my Blizzaks on I do slaloms around the SUVs on snow-covered roads.
Literally. My blizzaks are also a lot narrower that my summer tires: 205
v. 235. On ice only 2 things really work: studs or Blizzaks. Like the
other poster said: Blizzaks rule, all-season tires drool. A set of
Blizzaks on steel wheels costs less than my insurance deductable ($500).
Need I say more?

- --
Joel Gallun
'93 525iT