Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:23:10 -0500
From: <engarcon@domain.elided>
Subject: E28 Cold Start Problems

I recently had my starter and starter motor rebuilt after the starter
motor refused to crank my '87 535is auto. Often it would take up to 6-8
attempts before the car would catch and start. Once it did catch, the
start was rough. It is around 10 degrees here in the east and this is
really becoming a problem.

Here is where it gets strange. After the car has been run and is still
hot the cold cranking problem goes away. It will crank and start quickly.
If the car sits all day, then it takes 6-8 attempts before the starter
motor will catch and the cars starts.

The car has 88k on the clock and is fine otherwise.

Any assistance is appreciated

End of bmw-digest V9 #1360