RE: E28 Cold Start Problems

<engarcon@domain.elided> asks:

> I recently had my starter and starter motor rebuilt after the
> starter motor refused to crank my '87 535is auto. Often it would
> take up to 6-8 attempts before the car would catch and start.
> Once it did catch, the start was rough. It is around 10 degrees
> here in the east and this is really becoming a problem.

So the problem was in no way affected by the introduction of the new
starter, right?

> Here is where it gets strange. After the car has been run and
> is still hot the cold cranking problem goes away. It will crank
> and start quickly. If the car sits all day, then it takes 6-8
> attempts before the starter motor will catch and the cars starts.

It sounds like you have a cold start problem.
Do you see any black smoke coming out of the tail pipe after the car does
catch 6-8 starting attempts later? Does the car catch faster if you floor
the throttle? If so, your injectors might be leaking and flooding the
cylinders.
If not, your cold start inject might be dysfunctional. It is supposed to
fire for exactly 1 second to assist in cold starting. If it doesn't, it may
take a while to pump the gasoline before the car catches.
Then, of course, you might have problems with fuel supply (weak pump, gas
draining back from the fuel lines while the car sits, etc).

I seem to be paying a lot of attention to the fuel side of the problem. You
might also check spark/air availability (the other two ingredients for
starting an engine).

At least that's what I would look for with an E30. Your E28 should be
similar,
alex f