<E28> Poor fuel economy resolved - thanks - mixed news ...

To those who have followed this, and to those who have e-mailed me,
here's the resolve of my '85 535i's poor fuel economy.

And, to those who have e-mailed me, thank you!  I've appreciated your
help and time.

With my capabilities, and some of your input, I checked the car as
far as I could.  For further analysis, I took the car to a
technician.

The #6 injector has apparently "gone south".  A LOT of carbon and
gasoline in that cylinder.  The other plugs showed evidence of
carbon, presumably from the cold start injector leaking, but nothing
like #6.

Next was the compression check, which was discouraging.  Compression
values ran in the 130's to 140's.  A tired engine.

So..., the immediate fix is to replace the injectors.  The long-term
thing I am looking at is the engine.  I'd love to "upgrade" the
engine, but I'm bothered by what I know.  At 145,000 miles head work
was done to the engine, and the bottom end wasn't touched.  It wasn't
even suggested.  From what I know now, the bottom end should have
been touched at that time.  If I went to upgrade the engine, am I
going to get the same mistakes?  Like the rest of you, I don't like
getting burned.

If you have some engine experiences to share, please do.

Thank you all again!!

...Kim Hensley
Danville, VA
BMW CCA #16216