E34 Starting problem.

Hi,

Here is a story that could apply to any car.

Bought a 1989 E34 535i sport.  Ran very well after 114,000 miles.  =

Had an immobiliser fitted for insurance discount - cuts off petrol (gas) =

and electrics.

After 5000 miles, 6 months, suddenly car wouldn't start and there was
a smell of petrol.  Immobiliser light looked weird, so pulled =

immobiliser fuse (not blown) and replaced. Car started OK.

Still had intermittent starting problems.  Once engine stalled when drivi=
ng
and explosion in exhaust blew hole in rear box. (no Cat to ruin).

Took car back to Immobiliser installer.  Found poor ground contact -
the "mechanic" had not installed a crimped washer!

Reminds me of a poem I learned at school.  Something about a nail
in a horse's shoe causing a battle to be lost.

Barrie