Jumpy Temp gauge...

Hi All,

I've been reading the problems someone had with his temp gauge on my E30, I
had (and still have)
the same problem, the temperature gauge climbs to 3/4 and later falls to
about 1/2.
The first time I noticed It I had the dealer replace the thermostat (it was
5 months old and still under
waranty) but the temp still climbed high...
Since the thermostat was not to blame I had the mechanic use an external
digital thermometrer check
the water temperature while the engine was running and the gauge was near
3/4, the temp was 94 C
before the thermostat opened and dropped several degrees after it opened.
I forgot to mention that the gauge would jump up a bit when the heater fan
was turned on.
Conclusion: The gauge needs repairing, I also need to change the SI
batteries (I was told that the
batteries also afect the temp gauge) and once the instrument cluster is out
I'll give it a good cleanup
as well as new batteries...

By the way, what kind of batteries are best to be used for the SI board?
Alkaline or Lithium ?

Demetre