RE: <E30> 'e' to 'i' engine swap for a 325e

If you wanted a 2.7i motor instead of a 2.7e motor you would need to get a
set of pistons for a 325is and a 325is assembled head.  If the research I
did with BMW was correct, you can use 'i' pistons with an 'e' crank and 'e'
rods and then mount an 'i' head and have a 2.7L stroker 'i' motor.  To truly
take advantage of this setup, you would want to replace your Motronics 1.0
with a Motronics 1.1 or higher and replace the intake manifold (larger
runners) and exhaust.  You would also want to see if you could have JimC
burn you a custom chip to take advantage of the extra displacement.  An
adjustable fuel regulator would probably be wise as well.

Alternately, you could drill out the oil passages on an 'e' head (I'm not
sure of the exact number of holes nor the location--call Pete McHenry for
details--phone number is in the back of Roundel) and install an 'i' cam and
valve springs and get a custom chip burned for the motor to take advantage
of the cam timing and the increased rev range.  Down side is that you have
the smaller intake manifold runners and exhaust manifold which means more
low end torque but less overall HP (runs out of air sooner).

The third option is to find a 325i motor and swap the motor, exhaust, engine
harness, and Motronics brain box into your car.  Get a JimC chip to boost
the torque and HP.

Either way you go, you'll want to get a new instrument cluster from a 325i
to allow you to see where your revs are.

- -Derek
 '90 325is