Hesitating 535 possible fix

Just a suggestion, I've toasted my O2 sensor after driving through HEAVY
rains and puddles (shoddy wiring by previous owner).  The sensor put out
an erratic and even negative voltage signal.  The car stumbled badly and
sometimes blew black smoke!!!!!

There is a small single wire plug at the firewall on the passenger
side.  If you disconnect that and the car runs OK (if fouled the plugs
will take a while to burn themselves clean), then replace the sensor.
This is the same place to check the voltage output of the sensor.  I use
a 1987 5.0L Ford Mustang sensor made by Bosch, but you have to splice
the wires together.  For BMW the Bosch part is $120, for Ford it's $40.

***IF I am using the wrong O2 sensor equivalent, PLEASE CORRECT ME.

Good Luck!
James Muskopf
james_535@domain.elided