Re: <30> Help Needed With Jammed Glovebox!

Alex,

The same thing happened on my '85 318i.  There is an L-shaped piece of metal
inside the latch that breaks off after awhile.  Once this happens, the two
hooks on the latch no longer move in to allow the glovebox to be unlatched.

I opened it up by unscrewing the hinge (3 screws), allowing the back of the
glovebox to move down.  From there, you can reach inside the glovebox and
unscrew the latch from the inside (two phillips screws), and you can remove
the glovebox.

A new latch will cost around $30, and is easy to replace.

One thing that you may find is that one or more of the slots which hold the
hinge to the glovebox may be cracked or broken.  If this is the case, you'll
have an "interesting" time getting the glovebox re-installed.  Two of three
slots were broken, so the hinge wouldn't stay in place.  I tried to glue
them with epoxy, but it didn't work.  I ended up buying a used glovebox.

E30 owners: replace your glovebox latch NOW!  Don't wait for it to break,
because it's a PITA!

Good luck Alex!

- -rb