<E28> Headlights-On Warning Device

Fellow 'Gesters:

Some time ago I inquired about the possibility of adding a "your headlights are on"
warning device to my '86 528e.  After accidentally leaving the lights on in the
parking light at work more than once (DOH!) I figured it would be nice if the car
would sound a chime to warn me.  Most modern cars have this feature, but I guess
back in the mid-80's it wasn't available.

What I did was wire a couple of relays in series (along with some diodes to be safe)
between a terminal om the existing chime module (the thing that goes "bong bong" if
you open the door with the key still in the ignition) and chassis ground.  One relay
is a normally-open variety, controlled by the headlight switch, and the other is
normally-closed, controlled by a switched accessory power lead (one that gets
energized when the key is in the run or acc position).  Details are on my web site
at http://ebaines/home.att.net/bmw.htm -- click on the link to 528e, and then the
link to "headlights-on warning chime."  Many thanks to Jeffrey Smethers for passing
along info on the chime module.

- -Chip Baines
BMW CCA
'86 528e