Re: Cleaning wheel caps? and wierd noise

Syed:

I can answer your first couple of questions:

Once the roundels on your hub caps start to turn yellow, I doubt you'll ever get
them back to looking like new no matter how much you clean them.  The solution is to
replace them.  You can get replacememts from your dealer, and I bet you finf their
price is actually less than most mail-order places (don't forget to use your BMW CCA
discount). You can also try Bavarian Autosport (http://www.bavauto.com/).

To replace the roundels on the hub caps, they're just stickers - you can simply peel
the old ones off and stick the new ones on.  You should try and clean off as much of
the old sticky gynk as possible before putting the new ones on.

The roundels on the trunk and hood have molded posts that fit into holes in the
trunk/hood.  When you buy the new ones you'll see what I mean.  The holes are fitted
with rubber grommets to provide the gripping power.  You can pry the old ones off by
(carefully) wedging a screw driver under them and prying up - protect the finish of
the car by wrapping the screwdriver in some cloth.

All in all, this is about a 30 minute job to replace all 6 roundels, and the
cosmetic improvement is enormous - makes the car looks years younger.

Good luck.

- -Chip Baines
BMW CCA
'86 528e
'97 328iC

> Hello again,
> I was reading BMW Enthusiast and it said that the Roundel (I guess youd call it
>  that) in the wheel caps can be replaced for around 3 dollars each and the Roun
> dels on the hood and trunk for $20.00 for the set.
>
> I was wondering is it possible to clean the Roundels in the wheel caps, the one
> s on my wheels are yellowish if so how? Or should I replace them? In that case
> where do I get them and the Hood and Trunk Roundels for 20.00 per set?

<snip>