Re: <E28>Hard Shifting

Scott wrote:

> my '86 535i began shifting hard into 2nd, often just going half into gear
> and grinding (I hate it when it does that).

I had the same thing on my '86 528e.  In my case it was also very
difficult getting into 2nd gear, especially for the first shift on
a cold day. I lived with it for a year or so, until it got so bad that
I began to fear I would break something pushing onteh lever as hard as
I was. At that point I resigned myself to having the dealer look at it
(I know nothing about manual transmissions).  I figured I ws in for a
major bill, but was instead pleasantly surprised to find that they fixed
the problem at the cost of 1/2 hour labor.  What they did
was simply "adjust" the linkage, and that made it 1000% better.  No
problem now. Good luck.

- -Chip Baines
BMW CCA
'86 528e