Re: 95 M3 Engine noise

I've and the same problem on my 94 325is. The solution was to replace the
chain tensioner.  The first dealer I took it to said it was normal.  The
second one said it was too loud and replaced the tensioner for me.  Hope
this helps.

Bob
BMWCCA GGC
94 325is sharked

>Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:52:23 EST
>From: Porsche1VW@domain.elided
>Subject: 95 M3 Engine noise
> rercently purchased a 1995 M3. When the engine is cold, after setting for
>about 3 or 4 hours, it is noisy at about 3000 to 4000 RPM. It sounds a
li>ttle like a diesel engine or some sort of valve train noise. As soon as
>the engine warms up the noise goes away and everything seems fine. I am
>using Casterol Syntec full synthetc oil 5W-50.
I> have been told that this is not unusual for the M3 and that it is related
t>o either the VANOS system or the timing chain tensioner, and not to worry.