Is this battery or alternator. Advice needed!

Dear fellow digesters!

Please help diagnoze this problems. The car is 1989 535i e34. When I turn
the lights on and some other energy consumers the engine almost dies after I
press and release the gas pedal. OTher wordrs, the shifter is in neutral
position, I press the gas pedal, release, engine speed drops to almost 500
or smthing and almost dies but then goes back to normal.

Since it happens only when I turn the lights on I suspect the batter or
alternator or voltage regulator. What do you guys think about it.

Very best regards,

igor chernishov

535i E34

ICQ 21606443