Re: E36M3 warmup noises

In a message dated 12/17/99 12:24:33 AM Mountain Standard Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I rercently purchased a 1995 M3.  When the engine is cold, after setting
for
 about 3 or 4 hours, it is noisy at about 3000 to 4000 RPM.  It sounds a
 little like a diesel engine or some sort of valve train noise.  As soon as
 the engine warms up the noise goes away and everything seems fine.  I am
 using Casterol Syntec full synthetc oil 5W-50. >>
I have the same car, same oil, same problem. Service people at the dealer
didn't consider it a problem. An independent mechanic, trained by Ferrari and
very knowledgeable about these things (IMO) told me that's typical for
engines with forged pistons. Apparently, they need to warm-up a bit to hit
their optimum tolerances. It's not a problem unless you like to use wide open
throttle first thing in the morning. I give it a minute or so and am light on
the throttle until I see the temp needle at its normal position. Ferrari
recommends an even more cautious warm-up period as a way to minimize engine
and drivetrain problems.
Hope this helps
Fred Callender RMC