E36 door leak...

Help....

 I have just purchased a '92 E36 and have discovered that it has nothing in
the way of plastic lining inside the front door trim to stop water entering
the cabin via the door interior. Water has leaked into the cabin from the
bottom of the door trim.

On most cars I would have expected a plastic self-adhesive membrane to be
stuck to the metal inside of the door to prevent this ingress . I have
spoken to my local BMW dealer to ask about getting a replacement, but they
claim that this plastic (B51.95.1.924.961) comes in meter lengths, rather
that a precut and shaped, self-adhesive from. Also they seem to have a foam
like door SEAL (Pt No b51.48.8.173.709) which looks like a piece of sound
insulation. but the shapings of this make it appear that it could be a
replacement of the traditional plastic sheet. Anybody know whats going on ?
Any info on part numbers would be especially useful.

regards

Mark Burton